Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Day three--not the happiest of campers

Well, here we are at the end of day three and it really looks like it's time to paint. Tomorrow they will paint the woodwork and trim. Now I totally understand why it will take so much time to paint our place. Today we had four people working full time all day long and yesterday three people all day and not a drop of paint has been applied to anything yet.
It turns out that we have so much woodwork that it means that up until today they have been masking the walls so that tomorrow they can paint just the woodwork. Today's masking also includes cutting about three inches off our carpet all the way around the house. Of course we would never have let the painters do this if we weren't getting new carpet next week. So progress is being made. The folks are hard working and ready to go.

Now comes the part where I am not the happiest of campers. When we first discussed this whole thing one thing that I was really worried about was having to be out of my office for an extended period of time. August is my ABSOLUTE BUSIEST MONTH!

And these two weeks leading up to school starting are by far my busiest. When we originally met with Joel about painting I specifically asked him how long I would need to be out of the house (due to fumes, etc. since we aren't painting my office). At that point I was told I would need to be out of the house 3-4 hours each week while they sprayed. I figured that wouldn't be a problem but today I was told that I would need to be gone tomorrow from 11-5 while the spay the woodwork and again on Friday while they do the walls for almost an equal amount of time. That's 10 lost hours of work this week. And then the same next week. I am NOT happy. I have no clue how to make that up.

I suppose I could be working right now but sorry people, after working since 6:30 am I can just not be creative in the evening. And that's what I need to do. Write. Write articles, design newsletters and more. Of course I could work someplace on my MacBook while I am out of the house but my design/work process doesn't work that way. I need access to the web, to all three of my main design machine's hard drives, access to my specific font set on my design computer and a whole bunch of other things that I can only do in my office.

And Friday is my shipping day. I need to be able to print labels, package boxes and mail about 60 boxes by the end of the day. And that doesn't even begin to look at next week. Losing 10-12 hours of work is going to really stress me out. Not to mention trying to find someplace to be tomorrow for that amount of time. You can only sit in Starbucks for so long. Thank God the heat wave is supposed to finally break as I will probably end up sitting in my car for a few hours. What a thrill.

2 comments:

  1. I have never tried it but look at a product called "Go To My PC" and they have it for MAC. It allows you to work remotely as if you were on a specific machine in your office. If your one MAC can access all of the other MACs it might work.

    https://www.gotomypc.com/

    ReplyDelete